Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cat nails peeling?

my cat's toenails have started peeling, but really bad. And I know it has to be painful. i was wondering if anyone knows why it is happening and how to stop it. She get's really good cat food. Purina one and the last time i cut her nails was a few weeks ago and It just started to peel so I know it's not from the cut.Cat nails peeling?
The nail peeling, or the little 'shell' pieces you find is natural, they shed the outer layers which is a main reason they start scratching.





Now, if the nail is actually splitting down the center to the little pink/gray part (the 'quick') and bleeding, then you should contact the vet. A food high in omega 3 fatty acids and protein can help strengthen nails, but again, shedding the outer layer is very normal and inevitable.Cat nails peeling?
You can't stop it my cats do this all the time and it isn't painful to them.This is why they scratch stuff.
That is the best cat food! Anyway whenever my cat has a problem which is not an emergency i usually call the vet and speak to the vet nurse who gives me adise on what i can do to help. of course if the problem doesn't get better your cat will need to see the vet but this way you could save money. My cat had an eye infection and she gave me great advise which worked. I used the method for two kittens and two cats. That saved me on four vet visits which would have been over $200 altogether.
You're talking about more than the half circle hard sheaths coming off both sides as the nail sheds, right?





I've seen fraying on our cats nails when my fingernail clippers gets too dull, it crushes the nail end instead of cutting cleanly. You can try using a different nail cutters and see if that works better after a while.





Nail brittleness can come from a lack of certain minerals and vitamins also, but I think to get an accurate assessment you'd have to phone the vet and ask what to give for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment